Current:Home > InvestJudge awards $23.5 million to undercover St. Louis officer beaten by colleagues during protest -Capitatum
Judge awards $23.5 million to undercover St. Louis officer beaten by colleagues during protest
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:22:00
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A St. Louis judge on Monday awarded nearly $23.5 million to a former police officer who was beaten by colleagues while working undercover during a protest.
Luther Hall was badly injured in the 2017 attack during one of several protests that followed the acquittal of Jason Stockley, a former St. Louis officer, on a murder charge that stemmed from the shooting death of a Black man.
Hall previously settled a separate lawsuit with the city for $5 million. In 2022, he sued three former colleagues — Randy Hays, Dustin Boone and Christopher Myers — for their roles in the attack.
Hays never responded to the lawsuit despite being served while he was in prison on a civil rights violation, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported. A judge issued a default judgment in favor of Hall in February and heard testimony Monday about why Hall should receive damages.
Hall’s claims against Boone and Myers are still pending.
Hall, in court on Monday, talked about the severe physical and emotional damages that followed the beating. He suffered several herniated discs and a jaw injury that left him unable to eat. He developed gallstones with complications, requiring surgeries.
“Mr. Hall had to endure this severe beating and while that was happening, he knew it was being administered by his colleagues who were sworn to serve and protect,” Circuit Judge Joseph Whyte said.
Hays was not at the hearing. He was sentenced to more than four years in prison in 2021 and is in the custody of the St. Louis Residential Reentry Management Office, which supervises people who have been released from prison and are serving time on home confinement or in halfway houses. He has one year to contest the judgment.
The attack happened on Sept. 17, 2017, days after Stockley was acquitted in the fatal shooting of 24-year-old Anthony Lamar Smith on Dec. 20, 2011. Hall was walking back toward police headquarters when his uniformed colleagues ordered him to put up his hands and get on the ground, then beat him.
Hays, Boone, Myers and another officer, Bailey Colletta, were indicted in 2018 in connection with Hall’s injuries. A fifth officer, Steven Korte, was indicted on a civil rights charge and another count of lying to the FBI.
Boone was convicted of a civil rights charge and sentenced to a year and a day in federal prison. Meyers received probation after pleading guilty to a single felony charge. Colletta received probation for lying to the FBI and a grand jury about the attack. Korte was acquitted.
In addition to the settlement with Hall, the city of St. Louis last year paid nearly $5.2 million over allegations that police violated the rights of dozens of people by capturing them in a police “kettle” and arresting them. Some said they were beaten, pepper-sprayed and attacked with stun guns in various downtown protests after the Stockley verdict.
veryGood! (46132)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Prolific Chicago sculptor whose public works explored civil rights, Richard Hunt dies at 88
- 'Friends' star Matthew Perry's cause of death revealed in autopsy report
- A vibrant art scene in Uganda mirrors African boom as more collectors show interest
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Agave is an increasingly popular substitute for honey and sugar. But is it healthy?
- How to save for retirement with $1 million in the bank by age 62
- 2 new cases of chronic wasting disease found in Alabama deer
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- British man pleads not guilty in alleged $99 million wine fraud conspiracy
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- DK Metcalf's ASL teacher says Seahawks receiver brings his own flair to the language
- How to watch 'Born in Synanon,' the docuseries about a cult led by Charles 'Chuck' Dederich
- Browns DE Myles Garrett fined $25,000 by NFL for criticizing officials after game
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Homelessness in America reaches record level amid rising rents and end of COVID aid
- How to watch 'Born in Synanon,' the docuseries about a cult led by Charles 'Chuck' Dederich
- Rudy Giuliani must pay $148 million to 2 Georgia election workers he defamed, jury decides
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
Kuwait’s ruling emir, Sheikh Nawaf Al Ahmad Al Sabah, dies at age 86
Hypothetical situations or real-life medical tragedies? A judge weighs an Idaho abortion ban lawsuit
Israel presses ahead in Gaza as errant killing of captives adds to concern about its wartime conduct
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Body of 28-year-old hostage recovered in Gaza, Israel says
WWE's Charlotte Flair out of action for 9 months after knee injury suffered on 'Smackdown'
Prince Harry was victim of phone hacking by U.K. tabloids, court rules